Red Nose Day: Friday 19TH March.
This Red Nose day has never felt more imperative, especially here at the X1 offices. What a perfect way to unite everyone by raising money for a great cause and have some laughs in the process. We definitely could do with a laugh or two…
As our resident historian amongst the X1 team, I thought I would give a brief history of Comic Relief and of course, Red Nose Day.
Comic relief was founded by comedian Lenny Henry, and comic writer Richard Curtis in 1985. The notion was to get comedians to make the general public laugh, in order to raise money for the United Kingdom and countries around the world. The first live event was launched live on Christmas day 1985 featuring on BBC1, Noel Edmonds’ Late, late breakfast show.
The main event of Comic relief is Red Nose Day. In 1988 Lenny Henry went to Ethiopia and celebrated the very first Red Nose Day Telethon. Over 150 celebrities and comedians participated in this event which raised £15 million, attracting more than 30 million viewings who tuned in to watch ‘Blackadder – the Cavalier Years’ and the Young Ones on ‘University Challenge’. This only grew as over 20 million people across the UK took part in 70,000 activities for Red Nose Day 1989 raising £26.9 million.
In 1999 Red Nose day broke records, including ‘The most naked people on stage at one time’. A total of £35 million was raised. This record continues to be smashed, in 2009 over £82.3 million was raised.
At the end of the 2015 Red Nose Day telethon on 14 March it was announced that in the 30-year history of Comic Relief the Red Nose Day and Sport Relief appeals had raised in excess of £1bn (£1,047,083,706).
Last year Comic Relief teamed up with Children in need’s The Big Night In and raised £74,026,927. The money raised was used to help organisations tackling issues supporting; older people, women facing rising levels of domestic abuse and communities experiencing racial inequality who are affected by coronavirus. They also focused on supporting the frontline workers that we are extremely grateful for.
What can you do?
There are plenty of things to get involved in this year; from buying a red nose (This year they are 100% plastic free), Pixar t-shirt, pin badges, drink bottles holding your own fundraiser and of course watching the infamous one-off night of comedy specials, live music and money prizes.
This year red nose day is concentrating on providing safety to families who need support, take action against domestic abuse, and help tackle the mental health stigma.
“We believe that a just world, free from poverty, is possible, and that those closest to the issues have the best solutions. So, we partner with amazing projects and organisations that are working to tackle four of the biggest challenge’s society faces today, which you can read about below.” Check it out here!
What to look out for this Red Nose Day?
This Friday night make sure you tune in for Comic relief! Here is everything you should look out for:
- The victor of Dibley is back!! Dawn French will be taking on a lip sync challenge with her fellow cast.
- Some of the nations favourite comedians will be mentored by Charlotte Church to learn to become opera singers… one to watch out for. Guaranteed laughs!
- Harry Styles will be doing the ‘Treat People with Kindness’ challenge.
- Jack Whitehall will be the host of this years Comic Relief zoom meeting with him celebrity pals.
- Little Mix will be meeting superfan Steve
- Anne-Marie and KSI will be reading old school reports to the nation
- Joe Lycett will be scrolling back through some of his very first social media posts, with embarrassing results (we dare you to do the same).
What X1 will be doing?
Here at X1 we will be doing our bit by donating to Red Nose day. Our team will be selecting their favourite joke to get the office laughing! We may even be posting a few.
Also, Look out for our Instagram competition time.
For the last few days, we will be posting ‘Spot the Red Nose’ in our amazing properties for the chance to win a £20 food voucher for a takeaway. Perfect for your Friday night in watching Comic Relief.
- You must be a tenant of X1 Lettings.
- Once you have spotted the Red Nose, you must follow X1 Lettings on Instagram, like the post, share the post on your story, comment the answer and tag the person you want to share your takeaways with.
- The person you tag must also follow X1 Lettings
Winners of each day will be announced on Friday morning.